What Is High Blood Pressure?
High blood pressure (HBP) is a serious condition that can lead to coronary heart disease, heart failure, stroke, kidney failure and other health problems.
"Blood pressure" is the force of blood pushing against the walls of the arteries as the heart pumps blood. If this pressure rises and stays high over time, it can damage the body in many ways.
Diagnosis & Detection
About 1 in 3 adults in the United Kingdom has HBP. The condition itself usually has no signs or symptoms. You can have it for years without knowing it. During this time, though, HBP can damage your heart, blood vessels, kidneys, and other parts of your body.
Knowing your blood pressure numbers is important, even when you're feeling fine. You can check your blood pressure anytime by using an Ashton Blood Pressure machine. It is available in 3 main varieties: Dial, Digital and Mercury Free LCD. These machines have great precision, they are easy to carry and help you to keep a check on your blood pressure.
Tips for Treatment & Prevention of High Blood Pressure
Healthy lifestyle habits can help you control HBP. These habits include:
- Follow a healthy diet. Limit the amount of sodium (salt) and alcohol that you consume.
- Be physically active. Routine physical activity can lower HBP and reduce your risk for other health problems.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Staying at a healthy weight can help you control HBP and reduce your risk for other health problems.
- Quit smoking. Smoking can damage your blood vessels and raise your risk for HBP. Smoking also can worsen health problems related to HBP.
- Learn to manage and cope with stress. Learning how to manage stress, relax, and cope with problems can improve your emotional and physical health.